Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fashion gone wrong

This is Talitha, she has a story(don't we all). Her middle name is Cumi. Yes, her mother named her after the child Jesus raised from the dead in Mark 5:41. How fitting I believe the name is, and I pray prophetic. Her name means 'Little girl, I say to you, arise.' She has a special place in my heart. She is 9 years old and lives with my parents. She's a child who needs the assurance of your love.

This morning was supposed to be a blogless day. After visiting dear darling sisters website and checking out her photo album, it all changed. The cheerful, carefree attitude of today gave way to angry and grieved(but not for long). I encourage anyone reading this, it's not always wise to stifle your emotions(but sometimes they need to be ignored) we have them for a purpose. In this case my emotions moved me to tears and prayer.

It seems the kids of today have a penchant for fashion. Amen, I say. Ok, maybe not all of them but my niece is one example of many and one only has to walk through the city to become aware of the effects of fashion, culture and superstars(as they're called) to name a few. Why is it that young girls think they need to put their bodies on display?

I ask you this question. What are we doing to our kids?

We have five year olds in skirts just covering their rears. Bellys on display, and kids with seductive poses in magazines. Can you hear my utter disgust!!

So when I see photos of my niece in such clothing and seductive poses........I see red. (I decided I couldn't post the picture I'm referring to cause my conscience screams against the idea)

My sister had a problem. I forget her age, it was somewhere between the age of 9 and 11. She had a guy stalking her(why does anyone stalk a young child of this age?). It totally freaked us out. Perverted people like this don't need encouragement.

These are our kids. Let's take responsibility for who they become. Let's role model a modest display of fashion. Let's tell them that image is great, but despite the adverts on tv and such 'Image is not everything'. Let's give them someone to look up to. Let's show them that life is beyond the catwalk, singers and movie stars.

We want our kids to retain their innocence as long as possible, if that means being naive to certain things then so be it. Let them be naive to seduction, lust and every nonsense of this sort.

1 comment:

PaisleyJade said...

100% agree with you Little Dee! The innocence of childhood is quickly disappearing! Parents need to watch what their kids watch on tv, wear and play with (Bratz for eg)... and most importantly be positive rolemodels for them and their extended family member.