Monday, October 6, 2008

On a mish

I’ve been thinking a lot about the mission field and evangelising over the last few weeks. Here are my main areas for evangelising.

First I want to start with this: Me
It may seem strange to put this in here, but I don’t think it’s far wrong. We’ve probably all heard the phrase “you can’t give what you don’t have,” well I think it’s true, so why put off sowing into your own life. Read your Bible, talk to God, involve Him in your decisions, get to know the Holy Spirit, become more aware of Him, grow in your knowledge of Him. And that’s just covering some of the basics. What about eating well, exercising, getting enough sleep, letting yourself rest! Our bodies are temples. Yep God’s been convicting me about all of these.

Number One: Home
I’m not a big fan of housework, but it’s nice to have a clean home. This is probably my least favorite of the lot, cause it encompasses such a huge area. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, dishes, gardens etc, the list just goes on, and what about family members. Parents, siblings, husband or wife, children and pets. Before Bryan gave his heart and life to God I used to marvel that God had entrusted into my care a person who didn’t yet know him, and He wanted me to be an example to him of unconditional love. ??? It was daunting, exciting and humbling all at the same time. Do you have any family members at home who are unsaved? God has entrusted them into your care. What are you going to do about it?

Number Two: Work
Yuck, yuck, I say it because I’m tired of being there. I say it because sometimes I go home saddened and grieved at all the wasted opportunities, and I must remind myself not to kick me around too much. Tomorrows a new day and there’ll be more opportunities. I used to look at my workmates and see them as the people to reach and they are. But what about all the customers coming into the store(Countdown Tikipunga). Last week I had the immense pleasure of paying for a customers groceries. His card had declined and I was just leaving, but hung around and when it declined again, I told the operator I’d pay for it. He was rather overwhelmed and extremely grateful. The poor man looked in much need of financial assistance. It instantly made me very grateful. It’s also amazing how many people are impacted by a cheerful greeting when you answer the phone.

Number Three: Friends and Family
I love my church family. They are so wonderful, encouraging and just amazing. I love serving them in God’s house. I love sharing with them about what God’s been doing. I love my friends and having coffee with them, sharing their burdens and praying with them.
I also enjoy hanging out with unsaved friends and family. You never know when an opportunity to share a testimony will arise. I enjoy listening to their stories and I’m finding when I do that they’re more willing to hear mine even the ones loaded with God. It also allows you to hear their heart and what’s going on in their lives, so you can pray about it.

Number Four: Everyone else
I really want to be a greater blessing. Hard to do when you're self-absorbed, so I‘ve been asking God to help me look outward and upward. It’s tough going when you’re a compassionate person and busy trying to stifle it(I've been convinced to do otherwise). God is changing me slowly and opening my eyes to people and their need to know you care. They’re all so precious. I’m becoming more conscious of their need for a savior. I’m aware of my shortcomings as an evangelist, but I don’t want it to hold me back. God you are bigger!

You don’t have to go far to find a mission field. When you wake in the morning .. open your eyes

2 comments:

Rachel Kate said...

good stuff dee... real challenging!

PaisleyJade said...

Love this post Dee - bring them on!... Do I still have to love a rooster murderer??